Monday, August 24, 2009

bored out of my wits end

so i've had nothing to do the whole day yesterday and decided to go with my mom when she told me that she was gonna check out the pigs that we were breeding.. (plus, i need the exercise as i have gained a considerable amount of weight for being a bum for almost 3 months..) the piggery was located near my lola's old house which was a good 15-minute walk from the main road.. (my lola has recently relocated to a place by the main road.) well, what initially was a trip to see the pigs became sort-of a trip down memory lane for me.
the first picture shows my mom walking through the path between the fields.. i used to hate walking through this path as it was a very long one for a kid about 7 years old.. so when i learned how to ride the bike, i always used the bike to get to lola's place. the road may look smooth in the picture but what you don't see are the stones of different sizes scattered across the pathway. once, i was riding my bike and right across my lola's house, the bike hit a rock which caused the bike's handle to turn a bit to the right, sending me downwards, straight to a creek. i remember, the only thing that was on my mind was that i should turn the bike's handle to the right to avoid the creek (which was actually just about 1-2 feet deep). so i turned the handle and YAY! i missed the creek! but guess what i hit instead: the HUGE mango tree that was right beside the creek.. DUMB, DUMB move. haha. i wasn't hurt though.. but since this all happened across lola's house, all my aunts and uncles and cousins saw what happened. i could hear some of them screaming during the incident (which in my mind happened in slow-motion but in reality was probably just a split second.) but i became the butt of their jokes after they all found out i was okay.
pic#2 -----------------------> shows a lot of trees.. (and i'm not even gonna pretend that i know what kind of trees they are) but when i was younger, instead of all those trees and galvanized iron sheet-walls, was my favorite tree. it was a mango tree whose growth, instead of straight upwards was in a 20degree angle. giving an impression that it is nakadapa or lying face down: thus we called the tree manggang dapa. because of its structure, the tree was easy to climb and we had lots and lots of picnics in the area and played around the tree. as far as i can remember, that tree was my dad's possession until he sold it around 10 years ago and it was turned into a shooting range of sorts. the new owner put so many trees around that it's quite impossible to figure out what's going on behind these trees..
well, i could go on and on and post more pics but its gonna make this blog way longer than it already is so i guess i'll just have to leave it as it is.. 'twas nice to walk through the fields once more. i've gotten so used to polluted and saturated manila. it's such a breather to walk through the places of my youth, and to reminisce the innocence and carefree ways that wears off as we get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment