Sunday, November 13, 2011

the number game

I wake up in the morning and I think I'm 28. I read some article about a 28-year old person and I think "oh, we're of the same age!". I get asked my age and I say I'm 28. And THEN, I realize, I'm F-ing 26!

I really don't know where those extra 2 years are coming from. It's happened so often lately and I really don't know why my mind thinks of the number "28" whenever something associated with my age comes up. I mean, don't people usually forget that they've aged and give out the age they were a couple of years back? Isn't that more common?

That just goes to show how slow-paced my life is. Who else subconsciously ADDS years to their age? It's not like I'm 16 and adding a couple of years makes me legal. I feel like the last year of my life has been dragged away and extended to more than its usual length. I feel like me celebrating my 26th birthday was ages ago! (FYI, it was less than 4 months ago.)

By the way, do you realize how far apart the ages 26 and 28 seem to be? 26 feels like you've just gotten out of your early 20s while 28 feels like a headlong rush to the 30s. Just two years apart but oh, such a huge gap. Right now, for some reason, I feel a lot closer to 30 than to 25.

Not that I feel like I'm getting old. On the contrary, I feel like my notion of what's old gets further and further away. You must've felt that once or twice in your life too. Remember how when you were a senior in high school, the freshmen seemed so young? Or how highschoolers seemed like kids once you were in college?

This is just me doing my own equivalent to "thinking out loud". Half a year ago, I was thinking I was 25! I'm out of that early-20's crowd! And now, barely a year later, I feel like I'm about to enter the 30's club. Weird, isn't it? :) I feel like I should post a reminder on my forehead. Something like this:


Right now, I really don't feel like I'm 26. It's like when I remember I'm 26, I think: No way, I can't possibly be that young! And this is ME speaking. The same ME who thought I was getting oh-so old when I turned 20. Anyway, I'm just being redundant, aren't I? I shouldn't really bore you with these mundane thoughts going through my head at the moment. Besides, age is just a number, right? And... doesn't life begin when you're 30? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment